The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines nostalgia as a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition. As humans are sentimental by nature given our being creatures of feeling and emotion, it’s not surprising that we have a certain attachment to things. Every chance we get to seeing them, we automatically get a sense of nostalgia. One of the few things that does this really well would have to be Steiff toys or more specifically, stuffed toys.
And since we wanted to prove that point, we’ve compiled a list of things people have said about Steiff teddy bears and toys that’ll make even the most stoic of people nostalgic.
• “Once a bear has been loved by a human being, its expression is forever marked.” (Jama Kim Rattigan)
Friendship is forever and so are these toys. It’s not surprising why even as adults we find it so hard to let them go so it’s a toss between keeping them for ourselves and passing it to our kids as an heirloom.
• “One never quite gets over a lost bear.” (Jane Swan)
Did you lose one when you were a kid? Lucky you if you didn’t because we did and we haven’t moved on from it for decades and counting.
• “You really don’t have to be young to find a friend in a teddy bear.” (Rachel Newman)
Kids having Steiff bears are pretty much second nature. But as adults? Yes they’re still up there in our list of trusted best friends. We have a pact. Also, they keep your secrets well. Mister Bear didn’t budge when that kid from gradeschool asked it to spill my crush.
• “A teddy bear is your childhood wrapped up in faded yellow fur, and as such, he commands affection long after he is out grown.” (Pam Brown)
We’ve shared a lot of memories and spent so many summers together. These toys were our comrades. They get to hug us when we scrape our knees or at night when we were scared to sleep because of the boogyman.
• “There’s no bear like an old bear.” (Samantha Armstrong)
Like a good old friend, they’re simply irreplaceable. They’re one of a kind and even if there’s an exact similar one with that kid round the block, your piece is uniquely your own. That won’t change even as you grow old.
• “When everyone else has let you down, there’s always Ted.” (Clara Ortega)
How many times have we spent our bad days all curled up in bed crying and hugging these toys close to our chests? A lot most likely. They’ve been there for us in our ups and downs without fail. That and they don’t judge us. They love us for who we are.
• “Now that I’m all grown up, I can buy any old Teddy Bear I want – except the old Teddy Bear I want.” (William Sternman)
Even the most expensive or the newest toy cannot replace our beloved childhood toys. They’re precious like that. Treasures even.
How about you? Do Steiff teddy bears make you feel nostalgic too?